Evolve Fitness Transformation Contest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mongolian Beef And Broccoli

Go down

Mongolian Beef And Broccoli Empty Mongolian Beef And Broccoli

Post by Heather Robbins Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:27 pm

Makes 4 (6 oz of steak) servings. (Alternatively you could start with 1 lb of steak and get 4 (4 oz of steak) servings, it would change the nutritional info a little bit though)

Ingredients:

2 tsp cornstarch
3 tbsp + 2 tsp reduced sodium soy sauce (use tamari for gluten free)
2 tsp rice wine (or apple juice - I've made it with apple juice delish!) *Rice wine vinegar is not the same as rice wine do not use it in its place!
4 tsp sesame oil

1.5 lb sirloin steak, trimmed of fat, thinly sliced against the grain (I actually used striploin)
1/4 tsp salt
4 cups broccoli florets
4 med scallions cut into 1 inch pieces (I left these out all together)

1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp minced fresh ginger
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp oyster sauce ( I also omitted this)

In a shallow container whisk together cornstarch, 2 tsp of soy sauce, rice wine (or apple juice), and 1 tsp seasame oil. Season the sliced steak with salt and either add to the marinade in the container or pour the beef and marinade into a large ziploc, seal, toss around a bit to coat. Let this sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.

Bring large pot of water to a boil, add the broccoli and cook until bright green and tender-crisp (about 1 min(). Drain and run under cold water to stop cooking (this prevents having soggy broccoli in the finished dish).

Heat a large non-stick skillet or wok over high heat. Add 1 tsp of the sesame oil and the beef. Cook to near desired doneness (it will continue to cook when you remove it from the pan, then you will be putting it back in again, so go a little shy so it doesn't end up overcooked). Transfer to a plate.

Using the same pan, heat another tsp of sesame oil and add the scallion whites, garlic and ginger. Cook until fragrant. Add the broccoli, brown sugar, remaining 3 tbsp of soy sauce, and oyster sauce and cook stirring for about 30 seconds. Add the beef and cook stirring for about 30 more seconds. Remove from heat and serve over your choice of base (I put them on cauliflower fritters b/c it wasn't workout day, but you could use rice, cauliflower rice, or quinoa!). Top with sprinkle of scallion greens.

Nutritional Info: (with my substitutions/omissions) for the beef and broccoli only (not the base)

Calories 360
Protein 53 g
Carbs 1 g
Fat 14 g

Add in 2 cauliflower fritters underneath and the total for your meal is:

Calories 407
Protein 56 g
Carbs 3 g
Fat 18 g
Heather Robbins
Heather Robbins

Back to top Go down